Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Stillwater Artisanal Ales - Of Love and Regret

Well it's been about a year since my last post, although Adam usually has something to say on my behalf. It's been a busy year of drinking and brewing, but I've lacked the motivation and perhaps the inspiration to put fingertips to keys and express my thoughts, but no more! I'm diving back in with Of Love and Regret, the latest offering from Baltimore's Stillwater Artisanal Ales, "A saison brewed with an array of spring botanicals and grassy hops to celebrate the season." It is worth noting that Stillwater Founder/Brewer Brian Strumke went to Belgium to brew this limited release at Sint Canarus.

I've had Stillwater's Stateside Saison, and quite enjoyed it, so I jumped at the chance to try another funky brew from this local (sort of) brewery.

It sits, a hazy, light-copper color in my glass with a substantial, but fleeting, fizzy off-white head. Although the cloudy look is to be expected in a saison, it does subside as the beer warms leaving it mostly clear.

The smell is intense with sage and hay. There is some citrus with light funky notes from the brett. The aroma is layered and complex, while still light and springy. The taste follows suit with fresh herbs up front and all of those wonderful wild saison flavors following up. The finish is a little sweet slowly shifting to a gentle hop bitterness.

It feels light to medium bodied with a very slight sting from the just-right carbonation. As soomeone who often feels the over carbonation can easily get in the way of my fulling gripping the flavors in a beer, i was surprised at how i enjoyed this one bubbling across my tongue.

As I sit drinking the second of the two bottles of this that I bought (being my third time trying the beer) I find myself enjoying it a little more each time. It is hard to drink this without being reminded of Saison du Buff; this summer's 3 part collaboration between Stone, Dogfish Head and Victory. It's really very similar in aroma and taste, but lets the underlying saison shine through far more than du Buff. It is utterly drinkable, as a saison should be, and were it not so limited, I'd most likely pick it up again some time.

A little more on Stillwater before I go: I've already talked about two of their beers; both saisons. They also have Cellar Door (a saison brewed with spices) which will be available year round in bottles. Lastly, Strumke is returning to Belgium to brew another in his Import Series: A Saison Darkly. While Adam and I truly revel in saisons and all the horse blanketey funk that they bring; I'd be very interested to see something else come out of this brewery. The two beers that I have had were well done to say the least, but I'm beginning to wonder if Stillwater has much else to offer.

- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment