Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Old Peculier Clone - One Year Later


It's fairly hard to believe that I've been brewing for over a year. I brewed my first solo batch in August of last year, the first week that Julia moved into our condo. It was actually the first thing I did here, we didn't even have any furniture yet. My first batch here was a clone of Old Peculier from Austin Homebrew Supply. With pretty much every batch I've done here, I've put a bottle aside to see how it stands up a year after it was made. This was the first batch for the time to run out on, and I was definitely anxious to see what had happened.

The initial smell of the beer was sweet and syrupy. It reminded me of the fact that it was made with a container of Lyle's Golden Syrup, a sugar from the UK. I also noted a bit of fruity smell and some phenolic quality, probably from a warm fermentation since this was before I had any sort of temperature control in place. I didn't detect any hop presence in the aroma.

The appearance of the beer was a reddish brown, very clear after a year of settling. It had about a half finger off white head. The head dissipated fairly quickly though, leaving only a dusting on top.

The taste initially had a caramel sweetness to it. Behind that I was immediately hit with some stale oxidation from sitting in the bottle so long. I guess I wasn't as careful as I could have been to keep post fermentation oxygen out of the beer. I thought I detected a little bit of chocolate flavor to it as well, but no real hop flavor. Despite that, there was still a fairly decent bitterness to the beer.

In the mouth the beer felt medium heavy, with a decent level of tingly carbonation. Since carbonation usually lowers over time, I suppose this means I probably overcarbonated it to start. I felt just a touch of warmth with the beer as well, even though it wasn't terribly strong to start with.

Overall, the flavor was fairly decent, but it didn't seem like it was as good as I remembered it being when it was fresh. Between some of the mistakes seem to have made while brewing it, the things that I have learned about brewing since, and the age of a beer that really wasn't that strong to begin with, I guess it was somewhat inevitable. I'll have to see how some of the other beers I've made since have held up, but I may decide that it's just not worth it to keep a bottle of normal gravity beer around for so long.

- Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment