Friday, September 17, 2010

Flying Dog Dogtoberfest


I want to start out this blog post by saying I don't like Oktoberfest beers all that much. However, it is Oktoberfest season, so I figured I'd give some a shot.

The beer poured a reddish copper color, darker than I expected, with a 1 finger nearly white head with some rocky foam. The head dissipated pretty quickly, leaving only a light dusting on top. The beer was very clear though, and obviously filtered since there was no yeast in the bottle.

The smell was very heavily malt dominated. I'd describe it as sweet, grainy, a little bready. It's actually reminiscent of unfermented wort before the hops are added. There doesn't seem to be any hop quality to the smell at all.

The taste initially is grainy, a little sweet, and a little nutty. It's actually kind of interesting. It's very clean, with the qualities expected of a lager beer. There's a bit of mild bitterness in the back, just enough to somewhat balance the beer out.

In the mouth the beer feels medium-light bodied, with a decent but low level of carbonation. It leaves a thick coating on the mouth, almost a little slimy. It's not as unpleasant as that sounds but not particularly enjoyable.

Overall, I thought the beer was OK. Not great, not really anything special, but it didn't taste bad. It's nice and light for sure, but I still felt it was just too sweet overall to want to have many. Like all the Oktoberfest beers I've had before, it's just not balanced the way I'd like. Considering it seems like the beer is made mostly for drinkability, it still doesn't do it for me.

- Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment