Saturday, January 31, 2009

Dan's Top 10 of 2008

This past year was a big one for me as far as beer is concerned. Before the start of 2008 I was not a beer drinker at all. I had tried a few, but i could count them on one hand. Liquor and the ocasional wine were my drinks, and I had really only come to tolerate the taste of Yuengling. It wasnt until Adam brought me a six pack of Grolsch, and shortly after, a bottle of Duvel, that I really enjoyed a beer. So here it is, the top 10 beers from my first year as a beer drinker.

1. Chimay Grande Reserve - The first Trappist I tried, and still one of my favorite beers. This will be a standby for life.
2. Westmalle Dubbel - Another dark Trappist, probably my favorite, but I've still got a few from each abbey to try.
3. Aecht Rauchbier Marzen - Bavarian Smokebeer! One of the most unique beers I've had. (review coming soon)
4. Ommegeddon - Truly outstanding "Funkhouse Ale" hmm... I should go buy another bottle...
5. Brooklyn Brown Ale - If I had to pick my favorite beer, this would probably be it.
6. Brooklyn Local 1 - Great representation of a Belgian Pale that I think was even better than Duvel (shh, don't tell Adam)
7. Theakston's Old Peculiar - An "Old Style Ale" with a very unique flavor.
8. Avery's The Beast - A Grand Cru Ale weighing in at 16.4% alcohol without a hint of alcohol on the nose or tongue. Dangerous!
9. Blue Moon - A delicious Belgian White best if you can find it on tap, and served with a wedge of orange. I'll be drinking plenty of this in '09
10. Grolsch Lager - This is what got me into beer, and it'll always be one I return to.

This was really difficult, trying to narrow my favorites down to just 10. Lets hope 2009 is just as full of great beer. It's certainly off to a great start.

- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment