Sunday, September 13, 2009

OBX Happy Hour - West Coast IPA

Hello from Avon, NC! I am down here on vacation this week, and brought with me a pile of beers to try while I bask in the sun on the beach. I've decided to do a few posts while I am down here, to write exactly what I am thinking as I drink these beers. I have a slection of mostly IPAs and Imperial/Double IPAs along with a few miscellaneous other beers.

Adam and I have each spoken about the obsession with hops in American craft brewing. And, while I do still tend to prefer a more balanced beer, it's safe to say that I love hops far more now than when I started drinking beer, and hoppy IPAs and the like are increasingly the beers I turn to as daily drinkers.

So lets jump right in to it. West Coast IPA from Green Flash Brewing is described as being "extravagantly hopped" It weighs in at 7.3% abv, I'm guessing due to adding extra malt to balance out the heavy multi-tiered hopping that this beer underwent. It boasts Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Cascade, each added with a certain purpose, each flavoring or adding aroma in a specific way.

This beer pours a hazy copper-brown. There wasn't much head, but what was there left good lacing as it disappeared. I'll tack a picture of the next one, since I've already worked my way through half of the glass while writing this.

Needless to say, the aroma is delightfully hoppy. There is a definite malt characteristic, just a bit of sweet behind a fruity citrus bitter smell. I've been working my way through a lot of popular IPAs lately. Even this is my 4th IPA since arriving in the Outer Banks last night. With that said, this is one of the most appealing.

The flavor is dominated by the citric and pine flavors of the Centennial hops. Eat a grapefruit with pine needles sprinked on it instead of sugar. That is this beer. There's a fuity component to it early on that starts to disappear is it warms up. There is just a hint of the maltiness from the smell, just enough to even things out.

I'm being called away to the hot tub, so I'm gonna wrap this up, The mouthfeel is light, and carbonation tingly and sharp, making it very refreshing, and highly drinkable, in fact, i'm gonna crack open another one as soon as I finish this one. A great overall brew, and quickly becoming on of my top IPAs.

No comments:

Post a Comment