Wednesday, September 16, 2009

OBX Happy hour - Oak Aged Un*Earthly

It's a little early to call this happy hour, but I pulled out a bomber of Southern Tier's Oak Aged Un*Earthly Imperial IPA to have after lunch, and it definitely warranted a post. I've been looking forward to this beer more than any other that I brought along on this trip. This is the first brew I've had from Southern Tier, but it comes highly recommended and has a 98 on RateBeer.

Orange and copper in color, and appearing slightly cloudy after the pour, this beer looks rich and full of flavor. There is not much head, just a thin layer of bubbles, quickly disappearing into just a dusting. What is there leaves just a tiny bit of lacing.

The aroma reminds me of some barleywines Adam and I tried this past winter. It is rich and malty with heavy notes of caramel as well as a citrus aroma. There is less hop aroma than I have come to expect from imperial IPAs. As expected there is an oaky smell, not a heavy one, but it is there.

This beer is full of flavor. It starts malty and full of oak, moving slowly towards a piny citrus hop flavor. Still dominated by oak the hops turn to a very bitter after taste. This is a very long finish. As I type it has been over a minute since I have taken a sip and still there is oak and hop on my tongue. The caramel flavor from the malt combined with the balance of hops is what is reminding me of a barleywine. this is extremely well balanced for any kind of IPA. I was definitely expecting more hop flavor.

This is surprisingly light on the tongue, with small sharp carbonation that doesn't stick around for long. Even with the big flavors present here, this is one of the most drinkable imperial IPAs I've had, even more so than the DFH 90 minute, one of my personal favorites. The drinkability is best represented by the fact that in the amount of time it has taken me to do this post, I've nearly finished the bomber.

Overall this beer was not what I expected. Not in aroma, taste or body, but it is, nonetheless, one great beer. What else that I've brought, if anything, will be able to top this?

No comments:

Post a Comment