Sunday, November 9, 2008

My first beer tasting event

So Dan, Solomon, and I all got together last night for our first tasting even at State Line Liquors. Solomon's wife, Lindsey, and my girlfriend Julia came as well. A good time was had by all. The event was Belgium vs North America, for which they chose 2 beers of the same Belgian style for 7 different styles, one from Belgium and the other from North America.

The event was just $20 per person, and $3 of that was a refundable glass deposit. At the end of the night you could hand your glass back in for the $3, or walk out with your own Chimay goblet. For that you got to try 14 different beers, plus cheese and soft pretzels. Obviously they weren't full glasses of beer, instead it was roughly 1/3 of a glass. Since the amount of beer you got for each was limited, I didn't bother with taking notes on anything, but it was definitely a great event.

We had the opportunity to meet some new people as well as chat with the staff of State Line a little bit. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed and friendly... not at all like most bars you'd go to around here. I got to try out some brews that I've never had before, as well as revisit some that I had tried. I even found that one bottle I'd taken notes on for an upcoming review had gone bad, so I won't be trashing what turned out to be a very good beer. All in all, it was a great event, and I'm planning on checking out more of their tastings in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment