Thursday, June 2, 2011

DuClaw Black Lightning

DuClaw is another relatively local brewery that I enjoy somewhat regularly. Their Misery wheat wine was one of my favorite offerings, but I also enjoyed Black Jack and Serum. When I saw that they now have some more offerings available in 6-packs, I jumped at the chance to try them. Black Lighting is labeled as a Black Ale, which really doesn't say all that much. I interpreted that to be along the lines of a Black IPA, but with a Pale Ale as the base instead.

Upon pouring, I was greeted with the scent of caramel, toffee, and roast. There doesn't seem to be a ton of hop quality to the aroma, but still there seems to be some balancel. Maybe a little bit of citrus poked through, but I was having a hard time picking it out. The beer is black with a dense coffee-foam like head, a tan color, and it clings stubbornly to the side of the glass.

The first sip provided a light and smooth roast taste, along with a more substantial bitter backbone than I expected given the rather malty smell. It's almost as if they took a creamy stout and just dialed all the flavors back a bit. It's almost delicate in that respect, and although it would be disappointing if I was looking for a big stout, in this case it seems pleasant. There's a touch of caramel around the sides of the mouth as well. My garlic-laden pasta dinner brought out some dark chocolate flavors, although maybe that's also just the beer.

The beer has a moderately light body and a somewhat airy feel in the mouth. It's fairly well balanced between dry and wet, not really leaning towards one side or another. There's a little bit of coating as well, but not too much.

Overall this beer is pretty well balanced, and enjoyable for what it is. It's not the best thing that I've ever had, even from DuClaw, but it goes down easily. The only thing that really strikes me about it though is that since it basically tastes like a weak stout, I have a hard time finding the real target for this beer. Normally these "black ale" variations have a decidedly hoppy character, but that's mostly missing in this beer other than the peppery bitterness. It certainly was worth the money for the 6-pack, but I can't see myself seeking this one out again.

- Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment