Monday, May 16, 2011

Night of Big Stouts

Dan and I have been collecting/trading beers for a little while now, but haven't had a lot of opportunity to open many of the bigger beers we've gotten in a way that seemed "fitting". We got to talking, and decided that a major tasting night was in order, bringing together some huge stouts and giving us the opportunity to decide if trading for these beers was really worth it.

The lineup included some pretty heavy hitters, and consisted of Jester King Black Metal, Big Black Voodoo Daddy, Three Floyds Dark Lord (2009), Green Flash Silva Stout, Surly Darkness (2010), and Deschutes The Abyss (2010). Dark Lord, Darkness, and Abyss especially have achieved a legendary status among serious beer drinkers, so this was an exciting night. Many thanks go to Jay (beerthursdays) for providing the Darkness and Silva Stout as well.

I didn't have the opportunity to really take notes on all the beers, but I wanted to jot down a few thoughts for future reference.

Black Metal - This beer was surprisingly easy to drink and smooth considering its 10.4% ABV. There were some decent vanilla notes, and we thought this tasted like it might have even been barrel aged. I have another bottle so I'll see how this one ages, but it was darn tasty fresh.

Big Black Voodoo Daddy - more of a classic Imperial Stout. The bitterness was more present on this one than the Black Metal. Lots of chocolate flavors and coffee.

Dark Lord - This one surprised me a bit. I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. Dan and Jay said that 2009 was their least favorite of the years they've had, so I may look to try a different year sometime. However this one was overly sweet, thick, and boozy.

Silva Stout - Very good barrel aged stout. This one had strong notes of bourbon, which mostly dominated all the other flavors. Very enjoyable if you like the taste of bourbon barrel beers.

The Abyss - All the huge, roasty flavors were right up front with this one. What made it really stand out from the rest though was the presence of anise, which provided a black licorice flavor. This one was by far my favorite of the night.

Darkness - I was actually a little disappointed in this one as well. Dan and I both noted some oxidized flavors and aromas that got in the way of really enjoying the beer. I'd be nervous letting this one sit to age, because if it is oxidation those flavors should just get stronger.

All in all though, it was a great night for us. Now I have a much better idea of what I'll be looking to get in the future, and I'm able to say that I've tried these giants among beers.

- Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment