Sunday, October 24, 2010

Spring House Planet Bean


Today I find myself wondering if I like coffee or not. It would seem to the unwary reader that I must, since I often use words like "roasty" and "bitter" and even direct comparisons to coffee in favorable descriptions of beers. However, it's quite rare that I actually ever drink a cup of coffee, generally reserving it for days when I am dangerously sleepy, or feeling particularly adventurous. I suppose if I ever find a coffee shop that serves an alcoholic and mildly carbonated adaptation of the standard beverage, I'll be all-in.

Yesterday saw a second trip to Spring House Brewery in Conestoga, PA. They were hosting a pig roast, with pulled pork sandwiches and plenty of beer for all. The featured beers on tap for the night were their "Cosmic Monster" Belgian Quad, "Braaaiins!" Pumpkin Ale (for zombies), and "Planet Bean" coffee stout. While I was rather fond of the Pumpkin Ale and the Quad (although in the latter I detected an effluvium of bubble gum), I opted to bring a growler of the Planet Bean home with me.

Dan lists the Planet Bean among his favorite coffee-stouts. It can occasionally be found in bottles (bottled by hand), but it's quite an unusual occurrence. I can say from the glass I'm currently having the pleasure of imbibing, it does have the qualities of greatness in it. With the appearance of used motor oil, and a vaguely similar viscosity, this ale has some serious substance. I imagine the flavor is similar to sucking down a glass of espresso, except for the smoothness with which this goes down. The essence of the beer remains lingering on the tongue seemingly indefinitely.

I've continued to be impressed by the quality of Spring House as a brewery. Yesterday allowed us a chance to daydream to some extent about opening a brewery of our own, and Spring House seems to be a decent model for us. The refurbished barn housing the boil kettle and fermenters, along with the small tap room upstairs provides a rustic ambiance invoking the feeling of simpler times. I do question whether the remote location has held them back from growth at all, but I suppose they may also not have the desire to give up this lifestyle. Whatever the case, we are fortunate to have yet another world-class brewery within a reasonable driving distance.

- Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment