Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout


This has been the month of Dogfish Head for me. So far I've tried Daily Wry (a brewpub exclusive), Olde School, Immort Ale, Palo Santo Marron, World Wide Stout, and brief sips of Red and White. I've easily tried more beers from Dogfish than any other brewery, even Brewery Ommegang, one of my favorites (although possibly only because they have less offerings available in my area). I can't complain, especially since Dogfish Head has consistently proven themselves with great beers that are sought by beer aficionados nationwide. Who knew something that good could come out of Delaware? My bottle was brewed sometime in 2007, so it's had well over a year to age.

The beer poured black. Jet black. No light shining through, no traces of other colors, just black. The head was fairly non-existent, dissipating quickly to a dusting of brown head and left very little lacing. It looks intimidating to say the least.

The aroma was not overly strong, especially for such a heavyweight beer. I noticed smoke, roasted malt, and dark fruits. Overall it was a sweet smell, but there were dark bready scents as well. Underneath lay hints of chocolate and coffee.

The taste was similar to the Aecht Marzen (review still coming, I promise), but sweeter on the tongue. The flavors of chocolate and smoke dominate, with a tangy quality to it. I also found that there was a bit of nuttiness to the brew. There was not a strong alcohol quality to the taste, which is even more surprising considering it's somewhere over 18% ABV. There was a bit of bitterness to it, but nothing terribly strong. It was really just enough to offset the sweetness and balance the flavors. Most definitely a very flavorful brew. Also notable for me was the lack of a metallic aftertaste, that I so often find in Dogfish brews. I've noticed that it's much less common in their seasonal and occasional beers, possibly because of different ingredients or their higher alcohol content.

This was quite the full-bodied beer. It was thick, somewhat viscous, and lay heavy in the mouth. The carbonation was on the mild side, with just a bit of tingle. It had a nice creamy quality to it as well, and left a smooth coating on the mouth. Going down, the only real indication of the beer's strength was the warming sensation it left in the throat on the way down.

The beer was absolutely a sipper, and has a great flavor, but wasn't one to session. It's a little on the sweet side, but still able to be put down easily. Incredibly flavorful, intense, and one of the best Dogfish brews I've had to date. I can see why people try to get a hold of this one whenever it comes out.

- Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment